Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Lesson 9/March 2015

AncestryLibrary's "Ship Pictures and Descriptions"

1.  I did my search in "Passenger Ships and Images".  First I looked up the Titanic to find out which shipping line she was from.  I then did a search on "White Star" and in history put in sister of Titanic.  This brought up a list from which i found the Olympic, she was in service from 1911 to 1934.  After the sinking of the Titanic her construction was altered and it increased her tonnage. She served as a troopship during WWI and was dismantled in 1937.

2.  I tried searching but was unable to figure out where to go or how to do it.  Seems like they were always asking for peoples names or a place.  It is very frustrating for me at this point.

HeritageQuest

3.  I used PERSI for my search, not sure if that's the right one or not.  I went to places, entered the state as SD and county as Hand (where i grew up).  It gave me a few hits but you have to order the articles which were in the SD Genealogical Society Quarterly and SD History.  I then tried Search Books and Directories using Miller, Hand County, SD.  I got over 5 million hits.  If i narrowed the scope to county and surrounding counties I got no hits at all.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Toni, you did a great job with #1! There's a lot of info accompanying each picture. I had not thought to search by shipping line--there are many ways to get results in these databases. Sorry for your frustration in #2. Try this: from the AncestryLibrary home page, toward the bottom under QuickLinks, click "Newspapers." Toward the bottom of the search page, there's a keyword search box. Type in "Hindenburg" "dirigible" and you will get almost 600 results, most from the Stars & Stripes military newspaper. For #3, let's review what the different collections are. As you observed, PERSI gives you results, but they are not full-text. PERSI is an index to periodical articles that you can order for a fee or interlibrary loan. You were right to try the Books and Directories section. Here you have the choices of People, Publications, and City Directories. I agree that results can be iffy & seem kind of random. I recommend trying "Miller" "South Dakota" or "Hand County" South Dakota" in the People search, Keyword field. You will get a lot of results than will require sifting through. The other thing to remember when searching for anything historical about South Dakota is to type out the words, because the abbreviation SD did not become official until much more recently. I hope that helps. Practice and persistence helps with this one--playing with different word combinations to see what you get. The main thing is to understand what's in there so you can refer patrons to it. Thanks for your work on this.

    ReplyDelete